I am obsessed with popcorn. I’m talking MEGA obsessed. Obsessed like when my university roommates and I used to go to the movie theatre, we’d all get our own medium (ten million dollar) bag of fake-butter-covered goodness. No questions asked.
Eventually, we discovered simply buying kernels was far easier (and cheaper) and everything changed. For the last year of university we averaged about a bag of kernels a week. It became the easiest, fastest and somewhat healthier snack options available to us during late-night study (Ahem…Reality TV) marathons.
Okay! Moral of the story: Due to the amount of popcorn I consume, it was important for me to lay off all that gross fake butter that covers the movie theatre and microwave variety. And guess what? I am even more hooked! Turns out, I love popcorn even more when I get to season it myself and try out all kinds of new flavours.
This one is an easy classic and has all the satisfying qualities that the butter-covered-fake-stuff has but interestingly enough, without that same “addictiveness”.
I mean don’t get me wrong…You can easily eat a whole bowl of it, But you don’t feel that same NEED to finish it that you do when you’re eating popcorn loaded with fat and salt. I wont get into the logistics of WHY, but the the combination of unhealthy fats and salts actually trick your brain into thinking it can eat forever (while you’re body reaps the consequences.) SO! to all you other popcorn addicts out there – Try this out! I promise it wont disappoint.
BONUS: Nutritional Yeast (the stuff that gives this its cheesy flavour) is loaded with B vitamins which help with energy production and chromium which is essential for blood-sugar balance.
- 3 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp – Coconut Oil, Divided
- 1/2 Cup – Popcorn Kernels
- 1/4 Cup – Nutritional Yeast
- Sea salt
- In a large pot, melt 3 tbsp of coconut oil in a large pot over medium-high heat for 1 minute
- Add the popcorn kernels, shake to coat them in the oil and cover with a tight fitting lid. Once the popcorn begins to pop, shake the pot (with oven mitts) every 30 seconds or so to prevent sticking
- Turn off and remove from heat when the popping slows to about 1 every few seconds. Or be a daredevil and lift the lid to check – but carefully!
- Pour all the popcorn into a large bowl (biggest one ya got. Makes it easier to mix) and pour the remaining 2 tbsp of melted coconut oil overtop.
- top with the nutritional yeast and sea salt and toss well to coat everything evenly. Taste and season with more salt or nutritional yeast if desired. Enjoy!