Cauliflower has become the golden-child of grain substitutes. Anything from cauliflower crust pizza, cauliflower tacos, even cauliflower grilled cheese sandwiches!
I especially love using cauliflower as a rice substitute. It is so easy and provides a hefty dose of nutrients, fibre and water to your meals. Plus, it’s sort of like eating a salad but in fried “rice” form.
This dish is fresh, crunchy, sweet and spicy. I love letting all the different flavours of vegetables shine in raw dishes.
- 1/2 pineapple
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1/4 medium red onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, grated or minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup green peas, chopped
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1-2 small red chilli, minced (depending on how spicy you like it)
- Begin by prepping all the vegetables. Chop all of them up first to make the assembly quick and easy.
- Hollow out the pineapple half and chop up the fruit to add to the dish. Reserve the hollowed out skin/top for serving if wanted. Set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse the cauliflower until a rice-like texture is achieved.
- In a large bowl, add the cauliflower rice, the minced garlic, minced onion, grated ginger, chopped bell peppers and chopped green peas.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing. Pour the dressing over the cauliflower rice and mix until everything is combined.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl or put some of the mixture in the hollowed out pineapple to serve. Cover and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.