This salad packs a serious punch.
Each flavour brings a unique strength and sharpness to this salad that is balanced out beautifully by a sweet orange dressing. I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty convinced that the combination of orange and fennel came straight from the gods in heaven onto our plates. This is a widely held opinion, no?
Anyways! Even though this salad has many strong flavours in its midst, it makes a great dinner side to almost any type of citrusy seafood, chicken or even some type of legume patties (black bean burgers anyone?). I highly recommend either a lemony baked fillet of a white fish or chicken thighs marinated and baked in some kind of olivey tapenade. I’m getting all excited now…recipes to come!
In the meantime, try this salad!
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 cups arugula
- ½ cup black olives, pitted
- 1 cup artichoke hearts in oil, drained and halved
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced thinly
- ¼ red onion, sliced thinly
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a mason jar or small container. Cover with a lid and shake well until completely combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Chop the cherry tomatoes, black olives and artichoke hearts in half.
- Slice the onion & the fennel bulb in half cutting through the root. This will make it easier to get long thin slices. Slice the onion width-wise, creating thin long slices. Repeat with the fennel.
- Toss all ingredients in a bowl with your hands, drizzle the dressing overtop and serve.