Halloumi is a hard cheese often used in Greek or Middle Eastern cooking. I love using sheep’s milk halloumi since it is far easier to digest. This cheese is special because you can grill it on a high heat and it will get crispy and remain intact on the outside, while getting all warm and ooey gooey on the inside. Is your mouth watering too? No? Just me?Kk good.
This salad is the perfect meal-salad. It has tons of greens and nutrient dense sprouts but is also filled with warming sweet potato and protein from all that cheesy goodness. I love making this salad for dinner for cooler fall evenings!
- 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil + some for baking
- Sea salt
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 8-9 ounce package halloumi cheese, cut into about 8 slices
- 6 cups mixed greens (I got mine from the farmer’s market)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
- FOR THE DRESSING
- 1/3 cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease a sheet pan with some avocado oil. Toss the cubed sweet potato in 1 Tbsp avocado oil, season with sea salt, chili powder and garlic powder. Toss to combine. Lay the cubes on the baking sheet in one even layer and bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until fork tender (turning half way through)
- When the sweet potatoes are done, leave them out to cool slightly before adding them into the salad to prevent wilting the lettuce.
- Prepare the dressing: Whisk together all dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if desired. Remember, the cheese adds saltiness to the salad too.
- In a large bowl, Mix together the mixed greens, alfalfa sprouts and halved cherry tomatoes. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brush the skillet with some avocado oil. Once heated, place the 8 slices of cheese onto the hot pan and let cook for 1-2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Flip and brown the other side.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the salad, pour the dressing overtop and toss to combine.
- Serve a heaping plate of the salad with 1-2 slices of halloumi per person on top. Enjoy!