This is a great weeknight dinner because although it tastes decadent and delicious, its pretty much like eating a salad. You get lots of fibre and anti-inflammatory benefits from the zucchini along with healthy fats and vitamin E from the creamy avocado and a detoxifying boost from garlic!
Zucchini noodles or “Zoodles” if you will, are an awesome and quick alternative to pasta which, when sliced thin enough and covered in enough sauce don’t taste entirely un-pasta-like. Did that make sense? It’s been a long day.
My biggest problem with zucchini noodles…Okay, just to save time I’m going to call them zoodles from here on out. I know it’s silly but its just faster alright?
…Now that I’m thinking about it this probably took more time to type out than if I had just used zucchini noodles for the rest of this post…
Anyways! Zoodles it is from now on. SO my biggest problem with ZOODLES is that zucchini can be very watery. The first time I made zoodles in a tomato sauce I essentially ended up with watery tomato soup on the bottom of my plate. No fun at all. To help draw out excess moisture, I let my sliced zucchini sit on top of paper towel and I sprinkle it with sea salt. Let it sit for 20 minutes. Then, blot it with a paper towel to remove the salt and excess water!
Can I swim in here please?
- 4 Zucchinis (generally 1 per person)
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice and zest from half a lemon
- 2 tbsp water
- Sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- Spiralize or slice the zucchinis lengthwise with a vegetable peeler. Do not use the core/seeds as they are too watery. Sprinkle the noodles with salt and lay on top of a paper towel. Set aside.
- In a food processor, blend any parts of the zucchini that you didn’t use, the avocados, garlic, olive oil, lemon and water until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste and blend again until everything is mixed through.
- Pat the excess water and salt off the zoodles with a paper towel. In a bowl, toss the zoodles with the sauce until coated. Serve and enjoy!