There was a period in my life (from the ages of about 10 to 15) that the only thing I would EVER order in restaurants was caesar salad. No matter what. It didn’t matter if I was at a diner, a steakhouse or in freakin’ France. That was all I wanted
…Now I’m not sure if I should have admitted that as a holistic nutritionist and food blogger but hey, the heart wants what it wants right?!
The bright side of this weird pre-teen stint is that I think I can officially say I am an expert when it comes to all things caesar salad. It also means that it will always hold a special place in my heart and therefore I HAD to healthify it!!
This dressing contains no dairy or mayonnaise like they usually do! It DOES however contain a whooole lot of healthy fats from the olive oil / anchovies and detox properties due to the tons of lemon. Not to mention the grilled aspect of this adds a whole new dimension of flavour that is so summery and satisfying! I hope 10 year old me would be proud.
I’ve made this salad a few times and I’ve always topped it with different things – In the picture above I added some homemade sourdough croutons and organic parmesan (girl’s gotta live a little, right?) and in this picture I topped it with some crisped onions. Both delish. Both worth a try!
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce (whole)
- avocado oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6-8 anchovies
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 lemons
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
- crisped onions
- sourdough toasted croutons
- organic parmesan
- In a blender, add the garlic, anchovies and olive oil. Blend until garlic and anchovies are broken up into smaller pieces.
- Add juice from 1 and ½ lemons, sea salt, Dijon mustard and cracked black pepper.
- Blend on high for 1-2 minutes until oil has emulsified and dressing looks smooth and creamy. Taste and season with more salt/pepper if needed.
- Slice the whole romaine lettuce into quarters lengthwise. Keep the root intact. Turn grill or pan on high heat. Brush with avocado oil.
- Grill the lettuce on high for about 1-2 minutes on each cut-side. Transfer to plates.
- Drizzle dressing overtop followed by toppings of choice. Squeeze remaining ½ lemon overtop and serve!