Confession: I used to LOVE vanilla frappuccinos.
I remember being 13 years old, walking into Starbucks and feeling adult AF as I ordered a “frappuccino”. In my mind, this drink was the epitome of sophistication – am I Lauren Conrad? I’d ask myself as I chugged it down with a plastic straw maneuvering around my braces (this was back when The Hills was big-time, and I was obviously not.)
Little did I know that all I was drinking a hella expensive milkshake. Packed with refined sugar, fake vanilla syrup and a ton of milk/whipped cream (yes I got the whipped cream on top was that even a question?!)
SO! fast-forward to now when I am a lot more health conscious (but probably still as nerdy) and all I want is to feel like Lauren Conrad again. She stood the test of time and so will my frappuccino obsession.
But don’t worry folks, I have found us a solution: Frappuccinos made HEALTHY (how excited would 13 year old me be?!)
- 2 tsp hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 of a vanilla bean pod (or 1/2 tsp organic vanilla extract)
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 cup ice
- OPTIONAL: 1 scoop vanilla protein powder of choice
- In a blender, combine the hemp seeds with a 1/2 cup of water and blend for 1 minute. Congrats! you just created your own hemp milk! In other nut/seed milks you need to strain out the pulp but here it is not necessary since the seeds are so small.
- Slice the vanilla bean pod lengthwise and run the back of your knife down the half-pod to scoop out all the little seeds. Add these to the blender.
- Add the 2 tsp of maple syrup as well as the ice (and protein powder if you are using it) and blend it all together until it is of frappuccino consistency (like a creamy frothy slushie)
- Sip it and feel real glamorous – ENJOY!