This smoothie bowl is the perfect way to kickstart your morning with a burst of nutrients. It’s packed with iron-rich spinach, coconut for healthy fats, chia seeds for omegas and kiwi which is just as fun to say as it is to eat!
However, the star of the show today is actually one of the toppings: the pumpkin seeds.
Pumpkin seeds are a serious super food. Until I started studying nutrition I had absolutely NO idea how incredible these lil guys were!
They are super rich in the mineral zinc which is a crucial element in digestion and gives us some serious immune-boosting support. Pumpkin seeds are also rich in antioxidants, amino acids and recent studies have shown that consuming pumpkin and pumpkin seeds can help increase insulin-sensitivity in people with type 2 diabetes!
Finally, they are rich in magnesium which helps to tone and relax your muscles! This smoothie bowl makes a great post-workout snack. Plus, its delicious and therefore always a win in my books.
- 2 kiwis, peeled and sliced
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or cashew milk
- ½ tsp ground chia seeds
- 1/3 cup ice
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds for garnish
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut for garnish
- Place 1 kiwi in the blender, add 1 apple, spinach, chia seeds, coconut milk and ice
- Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth and uniform.
- Garnish with the remaining kiwi, shredded coconut and pumpkin seeds