This salad is a major staple in my kitchen. It is my potluck go-to salad. Actually it’s my go-to salad for any dinner or brunch I’m invited to because
A) it travels well and
B) it’s delicious
C) So, SO easy.
This chickpea salad is also great because it’s super simple and can often be made with things you already have lying around the house. Or at least these are things I always have lying around the house. It’s only 5 ingredients (not including salt and pepper) which is always a plus because you can throw it together in less than 5 minutes (but it tastes like it takes WAY more effort than that…shh.)
It’s the laziest fanciest chickpea salad there ever was.
SIDE NOTE: I have also made this salad by replacing the lemon juice with balsamic vinegar. This is an AMAZING alternative if you like balsamic vinegar and want to make the dish a little deeper and heartier tasting instead of fresh and citrusy.
chickpeas, lemon, garlic, S&P – I could eat this everyday just as is!
Woah. No idea who made that mess…..
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 1/4 cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 bunch basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- Drain and rinse chickpeas until the water runs clear. Transfer to large bowl. Add the olive oil, minced garlic and the lemon juice and toss to combine.
- Remove basil leaves from stems. Stack the leaves on top of one another, roll up into a little cigar and slice widthwise finely to make little basil ribbons. Continue using a few leaves at a time until all the basil is sliced.
- Fold the basil and crumbled cheese into the chickpeas.
- Season with sea salt and pepper to taste and serve! OR store in airtight container until ready to serve.
- This salad can be made up to a day ahead (but add the goat cheese just before serving!)