These little bliss bites are like protein and healthy fat packed truffles! They are sweet and nutty with a delicious crunch from all those crushed pistachios! Make them as a dessert or even carry them around when you need a quick pick-me-up snack!
Pistachios are one of the oldest nuts known to man kind! They are native to Asia – specifically from Iraq and Iran. Has anyone ever tried the middle eastern dessert Baklava? delicious honey-soaked phyllo pastry and tons of crushed pistachios? It is YUM.
Sorry. I got side tracked by desserts. Lets get back to the facts:
Pistachios contain a super high amount of protein in comparison to other nuts! Just one ounce gets you a whopping 6 grams of protein!
They are full of monounsaturated fats which are heart-healthy and can help lower LDL cholesterol, also known as “bad” cholesterol
Pistachios are also little antioxidant powerhouses! Antioxidants fight off free radical damage and can help in preventing things like heart disease and cancer
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup pistachios, whole + 1/2 cup, crushed
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp coconut butter
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- In a blender, pulse the cashews, pistachios and shredded coconut into crumbs
- add the tahini, coconut butter and maple syrup and blend until a dough forms
- transfer to a large bowl and press the dough together. It should be smooth and pliable – like cookie dough.
- If it is too dry, add a tbsp maple syrup and mix in. If it is too wet, add 1 tsp of coconut flour.
- transfer the crushed pistachios to a small plate
- Use your hands to shape the the dough into balls and then roll the truffles in the crushed pistachios to coat
- Place in the fridge for at least 15 minutes and then ENJOY!