Okay so I’ll start off by saying that this is definitely not the most beautiful thing I’ve made…HOWEVER do not let the colour / the fact that it kind of looks like a pile of green mush deter you from trying out this potato salad. It is delicious, creamy and full of that tangy potato salad flavour we all love.
Also it is packed with:
- Vitamin E (an antioxidant) from the avocado
- Anti-inflammatory benefits from the avocado
- Heart healthy monounsaturated fats from the avocado
- Digestion boosting mustard seed
- Potassium rich potatoes!
If it were up to me, this would be a mandatory side at every summer BBQ. And I take my BBQ sides VERY seriously.
shh…don’t tell them what’s coming.
- 3 pounds small red potatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/4 cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large avocados (I used 3 because mine were small)
- 3 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 red onion, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- Wash and scrub potatoes well. Transfer to large saucepan and cover with cold water (at least 1 inch above the potatoes). Season water with sea salt. Bring to a boil and simmer until fork-tender. About 8 minutes.
- While the potatoes cook, fill a large bowl with ice/water. Once potatoes are done strain them and immediately transfer the hot potatoes to the ice/water. This will cool them down, stop them from cooking further and prevents a mushy potato salad.
- For the dressing: Mash the avocados, add the mustard, olive oil, minced red onion, fresh dill, lemon juice and mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chop all the potatoes in half. Add the cooled cut potatoes and shredded cabbage to the dressing and toss to combine. Top with any extra fresh dill and serve!
- This potato salad can be made ahead and refrigerated until eating time 🙂