Without fail, whenever I try to make banana pancakes I end up with that Jack Johnson song stuck in my head. But… I’d say it’s worth it because, pancakes.
These were so easy to make and were the perfect combination of fluffy and hearty! The spelt flour gives them an underlying nuttiness which is super delicious.
Spelt flour is a fantastic alternative to refined flour! It acts pretty much the same in recipes making it an easy swap but it has WAY more benefits! Here are a few:
- Spelt flour contains minerals like copper and iron that aid significantly in circulation!
- Although it contains gluten, it is way easier on the digestive system than regular wheat
- Spelt is high in fiber which not only helps your digestive system keep moving, but it also helps balance blood sugar and keep you full for longer!
- 1 large banana
- 1 egg (or sub a ‘flax egg’)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (or any nut milk)
- 1 + 1/4 cup spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- avocado oil or coconut oil for frying
- chocolate chips or blueberries (optional)
- In a large bowl, mash the banana. Add the egg and coconut milk and beat until smooth
- Add the spelt flour and the baking soda and mix until combined
- Heat a skillet over medium heat (slightly closer to the medium-low side)
- Spray with avocado oil or melt coconut oil in the pan.
- Pour or scoop the batter into the skillet using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Sprinkle on blueberries or chocolate chips now if using
- Once bubbles begin to appear on the surface of the pancakes, flip and cook on the other side for another 30 seconds to 1 minute
- Serve with coconut yogurt or organic maple syrup & ENJOY!