This cashew cream is so luscious and tangy, it was mistaken for cream-cheese on multiple occasions.
This cream however, is cheese free – dairy free in fact! It is made entirely out of cashews, lemon, salt and water. So easy and SO delicious. The trick to getting the cashews silky smooth is soaking them in water for at least 4 hours (I believe I soaked mine for 8…I may or may not have forgotten about them in the fridge)
When soaking cashews, make sure they are completely covered with water. They will soak up some of the liquid and expand so cover them with at least an inch of water on top. I like to cover them and store them in the fridge (sometimes even overnight) for the ultimate creamy treat!
Cashews not only make this sauce delicious, they are also high in nutrients! They are especially high in vitamin E, which is a potent antioxidant and great for glowing skin. They can also help reduce blood pressure due to high amounts of the amino acid arginine and help keep you feeling energized due to tons of healthy fats!
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours
- 1 ½ lemons
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 2-3 tbsp fresh herbs such as chives, parsley or basil (optional)
- Add the cashews to a bowl and cover completely with water. Put in fridge and soak for at least 4 hours (up to overnight).
- Drain the cashews. Add them to a high-speed food processor or blender. Add the juice from 1 and a ½ lemons, water and salt and blend on high until smooth and creamy. This should take at least 1 minute (up to 3 minutes)
- Taste and season with more salt if desired. Transfer to a bowl.
- Chop fresh herbs until they are finely minced. Stir in until evenly combined.
- Cover and transfer to the fridge for 30 minutes or until it has set slightly. Serve with veggies, crackers, on toast or as “yogurt” on top of a curry!
- Will store in the fridge for up to 4 days.