I feel like to call this just a “salad” is doing it a dis-service. This is a freakin’ GAME CHANGER.
First off, it is SO easy to make (takes under 10 minutes) and secondly, it is deliciously satisfying. This is my go-to meal whenever I am starving and impatient (which is often…) It is perfect for any season – in the winter it makes the perfect warming meal and in the summer its fresh and lemony with creamy / cooling avocado!
I often hear people say that it is hard to cook healthy meals for one. This meal is the one I recommend to those people. Although the recipe below is portioned for two, It is really easy to portion for one, and equally as easy to double (or quadruple) if you’re cooking for a bigger crowd. Since all the cooking happens in one pan, its really easy to see how much you’re going to end up with which is great when cooking for one! I usually find 1/2 a cup of chickpeas and 2 cups of kale is perfect for one person.
Healthwise, this baby is everything you’d ever want in a meal: Tons of fiber, chlorophyll and vitamin K from the kale, protein and more fiber from the chickpeas and delicious healthy fat and vitamin E from that beautiful avocado!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small head dinosaur kale
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado
- himalayan pink salt
- cracked black pepper
- chilli flakes and grated organic parmesan (optional)
- Rinse and drain the kale, slice it into small ribbons (about 1/2 inch thick). You can leave the stems intact because they will get cooked (this makes them easier to digest) Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Mince the garlic and add to the oil. Cook until fragrant – about 1 minute.
- Add the kale and mix through. Add water 1 tbsp at a time to the pan and allow it to steam the kale.
- Once most of the water is evaporated, add the chickpeas and squeeze the juice of 1 lemon into the pan. Season with salt and pepper and keep on heat until chickpeas are warmed. Remove from heat.
- Transfer to two bowls, top with another squeeze of lemon and 1/2 of a sliced avocado on each.
- Add chilli flakes and parmesan if using. Enjoy!