This soup is jam packed full of nutrients that help your body detoxify more effectively. It is my favourite thing to make when I feel like my body needs a serious boost, whenever I start to feel sick or whenever I want a warming delicious meal which is pretty much a liquid salad.
…Ok “liquid salad’ sounds disgusting but please just roll with it.
This soup contains tons of cauliflower, broccoli, onion and garlic – all foods which contain the compound sulfur. Sulfur is a crucial nutrient that not only helps your liver detoxify but also helps take some strain off it so that the cells can regenerate. Your liver has over 500 jobs in the body and it works continuously and tirelessly to keep you healthy, so why not show your liver a little more lovin’?
Cauliflower and broccoli are part of the cruciferous family of vegetables. This family of foods has been extensively examined for their cancer-preventing effects due to a compound called indoles. Indoles do some pretty awesome stuff:
• they help protect your cells from DNA damage
• they inactivate carcinogens
• they are super anti-inflammatory which is crucial in disease prevention
• they have anti-viral and antibacterial properties
This soup also contains another superfood: PUMPKIN SEEDS!
- These are high in vitamin E which is a critical antioxidant and helps keep your hair, skin and nails lookin’ fresh!!
- They are also high in ZINC which is necessary for producing stomach acid (AKA they keep your digestion running smoothly)
- Zinc is also awesome for treating acne and helps boost male fertility!
All in all, not only does this soup taste like a party, it also does some pretty incredible stuff to your bod!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 broccoli head, broken into florets
- 1 small or 1/2 large cauliflower, broken into florets
- 6-8 cups chicken bone broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- In a large pot, add the olive oil and chopped white onion and sauté on medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the broccoli, cauliflower and garlic and continue to stir and sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the bone broth and bring to a simmer. Let everything simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a blender. Add the hemp seeds, half of the pumpkin seeds, basil, nutritional yeast, salt, and juice from 1 lemon.
- Blend on high until soup is smooth and creamy.
- Transfer back to pot and turn heat to low. Add water ¼ cup at a time to thin if needed.
- Taste and adding more salt if needed.
- Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with remaining pumpkin seeds on top. Serve and enjoy!