I like to call this salad the Get Glowing Salad because it does just that – it makes you GLOW. It is packed with nutrients that boost skin health, mental clarity and help to balance your hormones to keep ya glowin’ at all times.
Also, this Ginger Chickpea Kale Slaw feels like eating a rainbow in a bowl. It is packed with colour which means you’re getting a hefty dose of nutrients, protein and fibre from the chickpeas, and healthy fats like tahini and hemp seeds to keep your skin glowing and your tummy satisfied.
This is one of my favourite salads to make at the beginning of the week to take for lunches. Because most of the veggies in it are quite dense/fibrous (cabbage, kale, carrots), it means they hold up well even when dressed. In fact, letting them sit in their dressing makes them far yummier, way easier to chew, and breaks down the fibres so that they’re easier for you to digest!
Here are some of the top health benefits you get by eating this salad (But also, its freakin delish so you should just make it anyway. This is just in case you need a little more convincing. Or are just curious. Or hate kale and need to be swayed to eat it.) Ok I’m done now. Here we go:
- Hemp seeds contain tons of protein and omega-3 fats which are anti-inflammatory, boost heart health, improve brain function, and keep your skin glowing!
- The beta-carotene in the carrots help your skin look glowy and youthful
- Broccoli contains a compound called glucoraphanin which actually helps your skin cells regenerate – especially for sun-damaged skin.
- Tahini (sesame paste) is filled with vitamin E – a potent antioxidant, important for skin health and helps to balance your hormones.
- The ginger and lemon in the dressing is awesome for your digestion. Everything (including skin health) starts with your gut! Making sure your digestion is working properly is vital to glowing skin.
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas (or 1 large can organic BPA-free chickpeas)
- 4 cups curly kale
- 2 cups purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 broccoli stem (feel free to use the florets too! This is just a great way to use the stem #NoWaste)
- 1 carrot
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated or minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup tahini
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- pink himalayan salt
- In a bowl, whisk together the tahini, water, lemon juice, olive oil, ginger and garlic. Season with salt to taste. If it is still too thick, add 1-2 tbsp more water. Set aside.
- De-stem the kale and slice finely into ribbons. Add the kale and shredded cabbage to a bowl and massage for 1 minute. This makes them far easier to chew and digest.
- Using a cheese grater, grate the carrot and broccoli stem into a slaw. Add them into the bowl with the kale and cabbage.
- Add the chickpeas, pour the dressing overtop everything and toss to combine. Sprinkle hemp seeds on top and mix through. Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 4 days.