This creamy dressing has all the superfood benefits of turmeric combined with all the superfood benefits of tahini (sesame paste). So I guess what I’m saying is this dressing saves lives. You need this turmeric dressing in your life for a few reasons.
a) because it is delicious, nutty, flavourful, warming and zesty
b) because turmeric is one of the world’s best superfoods
c) because I love turmeric but if I see one more “golden-mylk-latte” my head might explode
Turmeric is next-level amazing because:
- It is one of the most potent anti-inflammatory foods out there. Inflammation is the root of pretty much every chronic disease – everything from arthritis to alzheimer’s. Inflammation is even responsible for some of the effects of aging (especially your skin).
- It increases the antioxidant capacity in your body. This helps prevent cancer, heart disease, and keeps you looking youthful!
- Curcumin (a compound in turmeric) boosts levels of the brain hormone BDNF, which increases the growth of new neurons and fights various degenerative processes in the brain.
- Curcumin also has been studied to be useful in the treatment of depression. In a study conducted on 60 patients, curcumin was shown to be similar to prozac in effectiveness.
With all those benefits from the turmeric, the healthy omega 3s from the salmon and vitamin E from the tahini, this salad is a superstar to say the least. Here’s how we get it going:
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 2 heirloom purple carrots
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup fresh peas
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 2 fillets wild-caught salmon
- sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- avocado oil
- 3 tbsp hemp seeds
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- cracked black pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Season the salmon fillets with sea salt, garlic powder and cayenne. Grease a small baking dish with avocado oil. Place the salmon skin-side down in the dish. Once the oven is preheated, cook the salmon for 12-15 minutes or until cooked through. Remove and let rest.
- Chop the romaine lettuce into bite sized pieces. Shred the heirloom carrots using a cheese grater. Place the romaine, carrots, peas, chopped onion and chopped cherry tomatoes in a large salad bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients until smooth and creamy. Taste and season with more salt if desired.
- Pour desired amount of dressing over salad, toss to combine. Break up the salmon into smaller pieces and place in the salad. Sprinkle hemp seeds over top. Serve and enjoy!