Okay so I love salads that don’t taste like salads. If that’s confusing, lemme explain: As someone who yo-yo dieted through years of disordered eating, the idea of eating bland lettuce makes me legitimately shudder inside. I am a big believer that healthy eating should be FUN. It’s not supposed to taste like punishment or wilted arugula with no dressing, it’s not supposed to taste like salt-less chicken and steamed broccoli. It’s definitely not deprivation or restriction.
SO that’s why when I make salads, I . Make. SALADS. Like real-deal-meal salads. One’s that actually keep you full, satisfied and feeling happy to be alive. If you’re sitting there like, “Are you crazy?! Salads can’t do that” well then keep on readin’ friend
Introducing, cauliflower rice tabbouleh. Tabbouleh is a salad traditionally eaten in Middle Eastern cuisine consisting of lotsa parsley, tomatoes, cucumbers, lemon, olive oil, garlic and some time of grain (usually bulgur or couscous). We’re switchin’ it up a little here to include cauliflower rice as opposed to a grain.
Maybe you’ve had tabbouleh before, maybe you haven’t. But either way, you should make this. Here’s why:
- Cauliflower: Contains sulphur which is a vital compound for helping your liver detox. It’s extremely high in vitamin C which helps fight off those seasonal colds. It has also been studied to halt the growth of cancer cells and prevent tumor growth (seriously, science: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3793502/ )
- Parsley: is MAJORLY effective in fighting inflammation in the body, helps to fight free-radical damage and aids in the body’s detoxification process. “Fighting inflammation” is a super trendy phrase right now but here is what it can actually mean: It helps prevent arthritis, helps sooth digestive issues like IBS, gas or bloating, helps with acid reflux, poor immunity, acne and other skin problems. I could go on and on but this is a superfood if I’ve ever seen one.
- Olive Oil: is rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, high in antioxidants and is majorly anti-inflammatory (which, as we know, is v important)
I feel like this dish screams summer to me. Maybe it’s because the sun is out for the first time today but WOW all I want to do is sit in the sun and eat this mega crunchy fresh dish. Here’s how to do it:
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large bunch parsley
- 1/2 large cucumber
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cold pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lemons
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Chop the cauliflower into large florets. In a food processor, add the florets a few at a time and the garlic cloves and pulse until they are the consistency of rice. Work in batches and combine in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly so that the batch with the garlic is spread evenly throughout.
- Chop the cherry tomatoes in half and dice the cucumber. Finely chop the parsley and add all vegetables to the same bowl as the cauliflower.
- Pour olive oil, juice from 1 + 1/2 lemons and sea salt. Taste and season with more salt or remaining 1/2 lemon if desired.
- Once the salad is dressed, serve immediately. If making for later, dress right before serving
- Enjoy! xx