Anyone that knows me knows I LOVE tahini. It is seriously one of my favourite ingredients out there! A few reasons why:
- it is so versatile (hello, tahini dressing or chocolate bark with maple tahini drizzle!)
- it is packed with healthy fats that balance your blood sugar and keep you feeling fuller for longer
- it has tons of vitamin E which is essential for hormone health, skin health and is a potent antioxidant
- it tastes delicious – clearly the most important.
These fudgey chocolate brownies legit taste like truffles. They are super decadent, not too sweet and are high in protein (again, thank you tahini!) I made these for a friend’s birthday and they were a hit. Although you could eat them any day of the week for dessert
or even breakfast potentially…Hey, I said they had protein in them right?!
Here’s how ya do it:
- 1 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup real maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For the Chocolate Topping:
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened, unsulphured shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper or grease with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the tahini, maple syrup, vanilla and eggs until combined. Add the cocoa powder, coconut flour, salt and baking soda and fold in gently until smooth. The batter will be VERY thick – do not worry, that’s just the tahini doin’ its thing.
- Spread the batter into the prepared baking dish. You can use your hands to do this or a coconut oil greased spatula. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean (or with only a couple of crumbs) careful not to overbake!
- Cool brownies for at least 30 minutes. While they are cooling, prepare the chocolate topping. Over a double boiler, melt the coconut oil and cocoa powder together. Remove from heat and whisk in the maple syrup. Pour over the brownies and sprinkle with the shredded coconut. Store in the fridge until the chocolate topping has set. If you’re impatient like me, you can stick them in the freezer for this to happen faster.
- Cut into squares, serve & enjoy!