Need a snack? a dessert? a breakfast? Well, I’ve got good news for you – these paleo banana muffins do it ALL.
These muffins are grain-free, dairy-free & refined sugar-free but taste like a decadent dessert. If you haven’t baked with coconut flour before, it can be very dry (meaning it should never be used as a 1:1 sub for other flours). The 4 eggs in these muffins help to keep them nice and moist, filled with protein and soft like banana muffins should be!
I added in an extra dose of protein here with hemp seeds but these are 100% optional. If you do happen to have them on hand, hemp seeds are one of the best sources of plant-protein and anti-inflammatory omega-3 fats.
All the ways I’ve been enjoying these muffins:
- For breakfast with a scoop of coconut yogurt
- As a snack with lots of peanut butter
- As dessert every night after dinner
- With some Culcherd vegan butter spread on top
If this list makes it look like I’ve been eating 3+ a day…You’re not wrong. They are v good what can I say?!
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 4 eggs
- 3 tbsp oil (such as avocado oil or melted coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup smooth nut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar OR baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (you could also chop a dark chocolate bar)
- Optional: 3 tbsp hemp seeds for an extra protein boost
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 12 muffin tins with parchment liners. If you don’t have liners, you can oil the pan with coconut oil (I did it this way) but full disclosure they were kind of hard to get out! Just trying to save you from my mistakes.
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed bananas, eggs, oil, nut butter and maple syrup. Whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Add in the dry ingredients: baking soda, cream of tartar or baking powder, sea salt and coconut flour. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate. Portion the batter out between the 12 muffin tins. They won’t rise that much so it’s okay to fill them up!
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let them cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from pan.
- Serve & enjoy! Store in the fridge.