This green curry is a staple in my house. It’s my favourite cozy Sunday night meal for when I want something hearty and nourishing. I’ve made it a million different ways – using any / every vegetable I have on hand, sometimes adding chicken, shrimp, chickpeas or lentils. It’s super easy – basically all it requires you to do is throw a bunch of things in a pot and let it simmer and get all flavourful & delicious. There may be some chopping of veggies involved but mostly its a throw-everything-in-a-pot situation. IMO the best type of situation.
Please, make this recipe your own! I’ve listed one of my favourite versions here but you can totally sub any vegetable or protein source in you like. The shining star is truly the creamy coconut sauce!
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Thai chilli (if you love spice like me!)
- 1 jar of green curry paste (roughly 1/4 to 1/3 cup)
- 2 cans of coconut milk
- 2-4 cups water or broth
- salt + pepper
- Roughly 6-8 cups chopped veggies (you choose! I used:)
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 1/2 head broccoli
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- A couple big handfuls of baby spinach
- A can of baby corn I had on hand
- 1 block tofu, cubed*
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- Rice to serve the curry over
- First things first, chop all of your veggies. Dice the onion, mince the garlic and ginger, chop up whatever veggies you are using. This makes the assembly way easier and speedy.
- In a large pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes until onion is fragrant and beginning to soften. Next, add in the garlic, ginger, Thai chilli if you’re using it, and curry paste. Continue to cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Next, add in your coconut milk along with 1 cup water or broth. Bring the sauce to a simmer and add in all of your veggies except the spinach (or any green that wilts easily.) The sauce should be just covering the vegetables so if you need to add a little more water/broth, go ahead and do that now.
- Season with lots of salt and pepper. Simmer the veggies uncovered for 10-15 minutes or until cooked but still crisp (No one wants mushy overcooked veggies!)
- Once the veggies are done, add the tofu cubes* to the curry. Taste the sauce and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Remove from heat and squeeze in lime juice. Serve over rice & enjoy!
*I love making this recipe with chicken/shrimp as well as tofu! If you decide to go that route, Here the deal: Simply chop the chicken into bite sized pieces (the shrimp will already the right size so no need to chop), season with salt and sauté in a little coconut oil separate from the curry. After the veggies are done cooking, add the chicken or cooked shrimp into the sauce just like you would add the tofu in the recipe above. Enjoy!