This is my go-to pesto recipe. It’s creamy, nutty, and zesty. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good classic pine nut pesto… but frankly, pine nuts ain’t cheap! I’ve made this recipe using many different types of nuts/seeds (basically whatever I have on hand). This includes but is not limited to: pumpkin seeds, cashews, almonds, pecans, even hazelnuts! Use whatever you have. Get crazy with it. Except flaxseed and chia seeds – these ‘gel’ up in liquid and will mess with the texture.
My favourite way to enjoy this pizza is [shameless plug] on top of Stellar Eats grain-free pizza crust! Our paleo pizza recipe is a best-seller and super easy to make for a quick and delicious meal. If you’re interested in convenient baking mixes that are healthy and don’t sacrifice flavour, get the full scoop here.
I can’t wait for you to try this one! Let me know what you think in the comments.
- Stellar Eats Pizza Dough Mix
- For the hemp seed pesto:
- 1 bunch basil
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 3 tbsp. hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 3 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- For the pizza toppings:
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup cheese of choice: crumbled goat cheese, feta, vegan cheese or shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup sliced olives
- A handful of greens like arugula or extra spinach
- dried pepper flakes (for sprinkling)
- Start by making your pesto. In a food processor, add walnuts and hemp seeds and pulse until you have very small pieces. Add the rest of the pesto ingredients and blend until a thick sauce starts to form. If needed, add water (a little bit at a time) until you have a smooth sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Prepare your Stellar Eats Pizza Crust and bake for 12 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- Spread 1/2 cup of hemp seed pesto onto the pizza crust. Add mushrooms and cheese, then return to the oven and bake for an additional 12 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and cheese has melted.
- Remove pizza from the oven, top with greens and dried pepper flakes, slice into pieces and enjoy!