I’ve always loved the creamy, sweet and specific tangy flavour that a good cheesecake has. I’ve tried many ‘vegan cashew’ cheesecakes in my day and lemme tell ya, a lot of them do not live up to the name. Sure they are creamy but I find they are often missing that cheesecake IT factor, you know?!
So I mean it when I say these cheesecake freezer fudge bars are truly the real-deal! Plus, they take 5 minutes to mix and under 20 minutes to set in the fridge. I love a good hands-off-but-tastes-like-it-took-effort type of recipe. You know the type.
I used Yacon syrup as the sweetener here because its low glycemic and contains a type of fibre (FOS) which is a PREbiotic. You know how everyone (myself included) is all hyped up on probiotics and how they feed the good bacteria in your gut? Well, it’s one thing to take probiotic pills, but you need prebiotics for them to thrive. In short, probiotics feed the probiotics so that the probiotics can do good things for you.
For this batch, I used a plain vegan cheese. Plain as in, this isn’t the time to test out your favourite herb & garlic or everything spiced blend. My biggest recommendation is make sure its a spreadable vegan cheese you actually LIKE the flavour of (they are not all gems) You will be able to taste the flavour in the end result so it’s important you like the taste of it. I used Culcherd cheese but my other top picks would be: Kite Hill or Nuts for Cheese. If you don’t want this to be vegan, be my guest and use regular cream cheese!
- 1 cup plain cream cheese type spread (softened)
- 1/3 cup yacon syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 cup cashew butter (could sub almond or macadamia)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate (chopped) or chocolate chips for topping
- In a large bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients except for the chocolate until super smooth and creamy. If you have an electric mixer, use it on medium for 2 minutes. If mixing by hand, whip away! You want it to be as smooth as possible.
- Line a square pan with parchment paper. Pour mixture into prepared pan and place it in the freezer for 15 minutes or until set. Make sure it’s level so that all the fudge sets evenly.
- Melt the chocolate. Remove fudge from freezer and pour chocolate over top. Slice into cubes. Return pan to the freezer and let it set again (about 5 minutes)
- Eat immediately or store in an airtight container in the freezer! Enjoy